Sunday, June 24, 2012

chilly in Chile

No class until one! YAY Study Abroad! Still plenty of time to be a tourisimo! 

Group of us ventured up to the highest point in Santiago! Sketchy trolley took us up there... being afraid of heights made it so much more fun! :-S 

Once we made it and I unclenched my hands from everyone around me, the views were breathtaking! The skyline of the city, the awful new skyscraper that hovers above them all, the pocket of smog that hovers above that, and the Andes Mountains as a backdrop. OK, so these things were breathtaking for different reasons...

Skyline above the city- very interesting to compare this skyline to all the others I've seen. Seemed like a smaller scale of buildings, but I was also pretty high up in the air.

Awful new skyscraper- I need to do a little more research as to who did it and why, but rumor has it that this is supposed to be taller than the one in Dubai. While modern technology intrigues me, and allows us to do "great" things, is it really necessary? Kind of an eyesore if you ask me. I'm not impressed with how big it is...

Pocket of smog- oh my gosh this was insane. I could see it a bit from the ground, but it was clear as a Deeg diagram, the way it laid over the city. It blows my mind that as human beings, we can see oh so clearly that we're ruining what's around us, and continue to do nothing about it! We are so stubborn and stuck in the idea of what is easiest and refuse to do anything! I'm guilty of it too, but WOW, this really put it into perspective for me. Especially as it competed with the Andes...

Andes Mountains- Oh how I love thee. SO BEAUTIFUL. The city, the tower, the smog.... it all meant nothing when you looked at how the mountains just CONQUERED. It was like the city was trying to compete, or even become a part of the Mountains. The mountains refused. Too awesome on their own. All the things we make as man, just can't compete with the natural beauty around us. We can try, but 112% of the time, we lose. 

Photos:

June 21

No comments:

Post a Comment